Monday, June 15, 2009

First Post!

Hello everyone and welcome to my new blog for this year's summer adventure. I'll be traveling around the Balkans and then Vienna for an exciting 6 weeks.

I've actually been on this side of the ocean for 3 days now, but honestly it feels like I've been here for at least a week--I haven't been sitting around lazing so it seems like what fit into 3 days should actually be fit into at least a week but yeah...SO I'll be backtracking a wee bit and then go on to the actual days as we go along.

I arrived on Friday, June 12, to Vienna at about 8:30 am. This was earlier than I was expecting to arrive, but I'm definitely not complaining. Here are some highlights from the two flights I took (RDU to DC, DC to Vienna) that I wrote down while on the plane to keep myself awake:
-Californication video by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for the first time in a really, really long time
-Weird shuttles at the Dulles airport to take me to my gate...they looked like oversized Hummers running on electricity. I know. Electric and Hummer is a huge oxymoron but that's the only way I can describe it.
-Really, really short flight from RDU to Dulles.
-Jason Statham and Transporter 2...might be 3...so here's the thing: Jason Statham is very good-looking, has skills in action segments, but the dialogues between him and the other characters in the movie were just...ridiculous to the point that I kept bursting out laughing, in a quiet manner of course since I'm on a plane but yeah...anyways...
-Really colorful seats on the Austrian Air plane--my section was pine green with yellow-green blankets, red pillows, and the headrest colors differed between white, yellow, and red. Business section was blue and yellow and had purple pillows. They also got to have serious blankets, not the sheet-like blankets we got. But that's okay. I had a yellow headrest.
-What I understood to be a Russian lady came up to me and asked for help, in Russian, which shows that I need to learn Russian, as well as German. Bloody weird it feels to go to a country and not know the language.
-Old lady two seats across from me gets addicted to playing Solitaire on the little TVs in the plane.
-The Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood song...simply HI-larious.
-About 50 channels on the TV, of which each channel repeated at least 3 times per channel because each movie was being shown in 3 different languages: English, German, and French.
-I drank coffee twice. First time was during the RDU-DC flight, and I drank the first half of the coffee without milk, after which I asked for milk and sugar. Second time, I asked for milk and sugar immediately when I got the coffee, which turned out to be a good decision. But I have confirmed that tea is my thing. Tea and water.

After all that adventure, I finally arrived in Vienna, found my bus and went to the house of some relatives that we have living there. The Vienna adventures to follow in the next blogpost!

1 comment: